Luu Thuy Minh seems to grow up along with her hobby of photography since she started to take picture of surroundings in her young age. With her passion of photography and curiosity of the youth, she has begun to explore and learn more about photography by virtual courses on the Internet and her own experiences through events she had chance to cooperate. Luu Thuy Minh‘s photos have abundant contents. It could be nature with colorful tiny flowers of spring, a lively festival and performance of exalted people, or just a rustic portrait but filled with delicate emotion, as her favorite style. Let’s have an interview with this interesting young photographer and get to know more about herself and her sharing about photography.
- Nice to meet you. Could you introduce a bit about yourself?
My name is Luu Thuy Minh, many people call me Mira too.
- What made you come to photography? And when did you first know that you wanted to be a photographer?
I’ve always liked to take photographs of flowers and nature since I was young. Since I came to Finland, I’ve been a model in various shoots for my friend’s studio, and I was also in this one relationship in which I was made to feel so bad about myself. That’s why I decided that I want to become a portrait photographer, to capture people’s beauty in their most natural moments. I become a photographer because I want to make people feel beautiful about themselves.
- Did you go to school for study photography? Or who inspired and shared his/her experience of photography with you?
I didn’t go to an official school to study photography, but I’ve attended various online courses to learn more about cameras, techniques, etc. My first and biggest inspiration is Sue Bryce, a photographer based in USA. In addition, there’s Yu Shen, my photography mentor, he’s been giving me many advices on camera and techniques.
- If not a photographer, what would you like to become?
I’d like to be an UX (User Experience) designer, whose job is to improve products and services to enhance users’ experience.
- How long have you been a photographer?
I’ve been photographing for almost 3 years now.
- How would you describe your style? And what is your strength in photography?
Recently I’ve been doing more macro and event photography, but my favorite type is portrait photography.
- Could you tell me some remarkable events that you cooperated with?
Last year I was photographing in Helsinki Samba Carnaval and October Beatz, those were the best events that brought me a lot of experience and colorful memory.
- How do you educate yourself to take better photos?
I go on photowalk, watch videos and experience new techniques all the time.
- How do you make your customers feel relaxed in front of your camera?
I talk to them, ask them various questions, let them relaxed and be themselves.
- What do you feel is the most challenging thing about photographing?
Using the right equipment and be there to capture the right moments
- If you could go back 5 years, what advice would you give yourself?
- What would you like to be doing in 5 years from now? Do you have any plan to promote your business/ profession?
I want to have my own successful photography business with lots of customers, and the relationship between me and all customers would be more of a friendship than just mere business relationship.
- What advice do you have for someone who wants to pursue photography? And do you have any words of wisdom about photography that you would like to share?
Choose the right equipment, know which path of photography you want to persuade
14. Can you share your 5 favorite awesome photos?
Thank you for the interview and wish your photography profession will develop more and be successful as your future goal.
See more about her amazing photos on her Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/LuuThuyMinh
or Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/miramiraluu/
– Daisy –